Saturday 21 February 2015

The politics of Ecuador

The waterfall at Baños
Let's talk politics. Politics is important and I lament the cynicism that permeates much of our political discourse. Good government can make a difference in people's lives particularly for those who don't have much.  Ecuador is a democratic country and Rafael Correa was elected its president in 2006. His government has been re-elected twice.

The Correa government has brought economic stability to a situation that had been spiralling out of control. It has also focused on policies to improve health, education and the country's infrastructure. According to the World Bank, infant mortality has dropped in Ecuador at a rate faster than other countries in recent years, from 28 (per 1000 live births) in 2000 to 19 in 2013. The government has invested heavily in education including the creation of early childhood education/daycare centres that provide education and care to all Ecuadorian children. And everywhere I go, I see infrastructure construction.

Wall art in Cotacachi
There's something else -- people I talk to are optimistic about the future. Many of the people I've met are upbeat. From what I've seen, I support the Correa government. This must appear inconsistent given my views on fracking and Alberta oil sands development but I believe that there are factors that differentiate the Correa government from other governments such as, let's say Alberta's.

The Correa government tried to avoid oil development. A few years back, it asked the world to contribute to a fund so that it might forego oil extraction. The fund raised only $13M. They had hoped to raise $3.6B.

Of greater importance, oil revenues here have been used to raise up society as a whole. The Correa government has created the means through its support of education and infrastructure to move the country away from oil dependence and towards economic diversification.  This will give Ecuador greater economic stability while improving the prospects for the average Ecuadorian.

Even though I may be far away,  I can still pick up The National on my tablet. The CBC recently claimed that the rest of us are suffering from schadenfreude (taking pleasure from another's pain) when it comes to Alberta. I don't know about you but I'm feeling that Alberta missed a great opportunity to use its oil revenues to diversify its economy. During that period, Alberta also decreased its education budget. So short sighted!

The Ecuadorians I've met are friendly and understated, much like Canadians.  Let's hope they don't make our mistakes.

2 comments:

  1. The world is not black and white. Drilling for oil is not de facto 'bad'. One must consider the circumstances. Too often in today's politics, notably in Canada, citizens are encouraged to blindly choose a side, after which choice your side can do no wrong and the other side no right. Not a good recipe for human progress. Thanks for your thoughtfulness. Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, Dave. Yes, I agree. We in the west have had the privilege of diversifying our economies for sometime. That Canadian government is choosing to go backward and become more dependent on oil is a mystery to me, well not quite a mystery when powerful vested interests are involved!

    ReplyDelete